The Royal Hibernian Military School at Chapelizod, Dublin had a very small beginning. Originally it was only intended to accommodate 20 children, “The orphans and destitute of Irish Regiments ordered abroad”. However the idea seems to have appealed at once to the generosity of the Irish nation, for we know from the records that “subscriptions came in more handsomely than was anticipated”.
George the Third became its patron and not only granted a site for the erection of the school with six acres in the Phoenix Park, but contributed the sum of £1,000.00 per annum towards its support. In the 1769 the first school was built with the Irish Parliament bearing the cost. At the first the undertaking had to contend against many financial difficulties, but in 1774 Mrs Wolfe, the mother of General Wolfe, the hero of Quebec, bequeathed £3,000 to this military charity, doubtless in memory of her son. This tided the school over for some years. However, it was necessary to petition of further aid and in 1801, as a result of a government inquiry into the position of the school; a substantial grant of £3,980 per annum was made.
Seven years later this sum was increased to £5000. The number of boys maintained at this date was 424. Also in this year Captain Hugh Colvill was appointed as the First Commandant and the organisation was assimilated to that of Chelsea an older foundation carrying out similar work in England.
Sir Arthur Wellselley later famous as the Duke of Wellington was Chief Secretary in Ireland in 1804 and he announced that for the future the school would be maintained by parliament.
First Ambulance Course from 24th April to 19th May 1967